Show Notes: When faced with tragedy, loss, failure, illness, or any difficulty in life, how can we learn to suffer well? Author Dr. Ronda Chervin uses the lives of the saints to help us cope with suffering in her book Avoiding Bitterness in Suffering: How Our Heroes in Faith Found Peace Amid Sorrow.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What was the motivation for this book?
- How did the saints handle suffering?
- Which saint helped the most through the suffering associated with the tragic loss of a loved one?
- How did St. Thérèse of Lisieux cope with suffering associated with doubt and attacks from the evil one?
- Who is St. Marie of the Incarnation and why is she influential in coping with suffering?
- St. Teresa of Calcutta said that suffering is like a kiss from Jesus on the cross.
Resources for today’s show:
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Sophia Institute Press
- Avoiding Bitterness in Suffering by Dr. Ronda Chervin
- Weeping with Jesus by Dr. Ronda Chervin
- Romans 8:28 – “We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.” – USCCB Bible Link, New American Bible Revised Edition
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. — please leave your name, location, and question.
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Twice a week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching. On Tuesdays, they interview various authors about their spiritual books and about the authors’ own insights on those books. On Fridays, they get specific on subjects which, primarily include prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Please click on the arrow below to listen to today’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the arrow below to listen to the show: