1. There is no Chik Fil A near my home. The nearest one was 67 miles away in Erie, PA. Luckily, today was a perfect day for a beach trip, and the beaches of Lake Erie are lovely. Find a spot where you can’t see the opposite shore, and there you are, enjoying an ocean horizon, with much warmer water, little or no smell of decaying seaweed, and a shallow sandy shelf with gentle waves.There’s no safer seaside for families . So we threw a pile of towels and a blanket in the trunk and were off…
2. …to 7160 Peach St., Erie, to preface our beach trip with a stand for religious freedom and traditional marriage. Not by marching, fasting, or praying, but –au contraire–by stuffing ourselves with fast food. Waffle Fries! Peach milk shakes! Fried chicken breast on a bun! Let me tell ya’, this is way easier than persecution, prison, or even the March for Life. I expect to be involved in lots of direct action in the coming year. God grant that lots of it takes this particular form.
3. The most frequent comments made/heard: a. “Oh, I”m Sorry! Ecxuse me! b. Oh no–that’s okay, you couldn’t help it!”,always accompanied by smiles, as we sardine-packed customers kept involutarily bumping into one another.
4. Next most frequent comments made/heard: :a.”Isn’t this wonderful?”b. “Do you suppose it’s like this at other Chik Fil A’s? c. “Yes, I’ve seen photos on Facebook–its like this everywhere.”
5. Manager told my husband that even though they brought in every single employee that could possibly make it, they didn’t expect one half of the extra business that came in today: “Usually no one comes here for breakfast. Today we used up all our breakfast supplies by 10 and had to start servng lunch food.
6. This is my favorite picture of the day, not from Erie,, but courtesy of North Carolina Faith and Freedom Coalition:
7.Now, my proposal:
Let’s have another event along the same lines as Chick Fil A Day: fun, full of charity and good humor, and people cheerfully willing to inconvenience themselves in order to make a statement on a particular day. When? November 6th. Where? Polling places across the USA.