An interview with Al Smith, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Mission Society of Canada
Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen passed away over forty years ago. However, his work remains as influential and inspiring as it was when he was alive (if not more so!). What keeps people coming back to the televangelist and bishop after so many decades? Examining his work on the sacraments, we are delighted to talk to Al Smith, the founder and director of the Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Mission Society of Canada and the editor of three Fulton J. Sheen anthologies, who takes a look at the work of the Archbishop.
In today’s episode, Al Smith and Michael Lichens discuss how they’ve discovered Fulton J. Sheen in youth and how his work has continued to influence them. We also take a look at the writings and homilies of Ven. Sheen on the sacraments and his advice for newly-wed couples. Finally, we discuss Fulton Sheen’s advice for welcoming children into our lives.
Listen below or find Catholic Exchange on Apple, Google, Spotify, or on your favorite podcasting app.
Other topics we discussed:
- How much writing did Fulton Sheen accomplished while hosting a popular TV series.
- How Ven. Sheen’s writings can help us to find a road map to the sacramental life.
- Bishop Sheen’s call to see the sacraments with a divine sense of humor.
- The origin, power, and efficacy of the Seven Sacraments.
- The power of baptism throughout our lives.
- Why Fulton Sheen said that it takes “three to get married.”
Articles & Resources
You can purchase Archbishop Sheen’s Book of Sacraments at your local Catholic bookstore or online through Sophia Institute Press. You can also find the previous anthologies, The Cries of the Jesus from the Cross: A Fulton Sheen Anthology (2018) and Lord, Teach Us To Pray: A Fulton Sheen Anthology (2020).
You can check out these previous articles and interviews from Al Smith, available here on Catholic Exchange:
- “Every Catholic Home Needs a Good Book on the Sacraments”
- “How Bishop Sheen Helped Me to Reconcile With the Blessed Mother”
- “Fulton J. Sheen: My Guide As I Learn to Pray”
- “What Fulton J. Sheen Can Teach Us About Prayer”
- “Ven. Fulton J. Sheen as a Lenten Guide”
image: adapted image of Bishop Sheen with Abbot Lensing at Subiaco Abbey (Arkansas) and Unknown monks, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons