Atheists want us to prove, with empirical evidence, our belief in God’s existence, even though they are unable to demonstrate with scientific proof that God does not exist. This slight of hand is a bit disingenuous because we all know that no one can either prove or disprove God’s existence by scientific methods alone.
Most atheists, certainly not all, put on the air of intellectual superiority when they scoff at the faith of believers. The fact that they believe in the theory that God does not exist, which theory cannot be proven scientifically, disqualifies them from criticizing those who believe that God does exist.
Most scientists would agree that Albert Einstein (1879-1955) was the greatest genius who ever lived. Since he believed in the existence of a Supreme Intelligence behind the universe, it makes one wonder why they feel so confident in denying God’s existence.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from Einstein (Cf. Great Quotes from Great Leaders, Published by Simple Truths, Naperville, IL, 2007).
1. “It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.”
2. “When I examined myself, and my methods of thought, I came to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.”
3. “The only real valuable thing is intuition.” (Reflection by JC – We do not need scientific verification to prove that there is a God, since we know it by intuition, that is, we know it in our bones).
4.”There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” (Reflection by JC – Walt Whitman agreed with Einstein, when he wrote: “A single mouse is miracle enough to convert a trillion infidels.”)
5.”Imagination is more important than knowledge.” (Reflection by JC – Einstein’s intuition gave us the theory of relativity, as well as quantum physics. Newtonian physics took a back seat. Quantum physics gave us the computer chip. Knowing that God exists is not something we learn from science, people of every age have known it by intuition. Even the Neanderthal man worshiped the god of his understanding.)
6.Einstein said, “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” (Reflection by JC -Einstein was praised all over the world for his genius, but here we find him saying that God is the one who should be honored, not Einstein.)
7. “Truth is what stands the test of experience.” (Reflection by JC – Billions of people throughout history have wondered what they would ever do without their faith in God.)
8. “The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions; only this can give beauty and dignity to life.” (JC – Atheists usually ignore the connection between conscience and the human instinct to do God’s will. They do not want to be burdened by any religious obligations. The bad angels in Genesis knew that God existed, nevertheless, they rebelled saying “I will not serve.” The decision to dismiss God is in the will, not the intellect)
Granted, there are many good atheists who are simply searching for the truth. We must pray for them. They put too much “faith” in the scientific method, and too little in the power of intuitive knowledge.