What's "fun" doing on a productivity web site? Sometimes have to remind myself (and maybe a few of you too) that having fun with my family is one of the very best ways I can spend my time.
Finding creative and cost effective ways to spend free time can be a challenge. I see many people in my hometown running to the mega-movieplex and its surrounding environs and plunking down an outrage amount of money to see the latest blockbuster. There's nothing wrong with that – I love movies too! But I also love to do and see new things and support my local arts community. Last weekend, the following were among our family activities:
- Shakespeare in the Park: We saw Othello, under the stars. Admission was free and they encouraged bringing a cooler packed with drinks and refreshments. Donations were invited in a non-high pressure manner at the end of the show.
- Local Indy musician concert – On Saturday evening, we paid $5 a person to see some incredible local talent at a micro-brewery in town.
- Celtic Jam Session – My kids and husband are musicians, so we spent Sunday afternoon at an outdoor cafe listening to several local musicians "jam". My eldest joined in, while we sipped cool drinks and enjoyed the tunes. Cost: free.
How do you go about planning activities for the weekend?
- Check your local paper and its web site's calendar.
- Consult the schedule of your local library and learn to use their online catalog to reserve DVDs and CDs along with books.
- Check the myspace of your favorite local musician. His friends will likely be posting promos of their upcoming concerts and you'll discover some great new acts.
- Do you have a museum or zoo membership? Check it to see if it offers reciprocal relationships at other museums or zoos around the country.
- Ask a friend what they do for fun on the weekend.
- Entertain in your home – keep it simple! A backyard feast of grilled hot dogs and time spent with friends can be priceless.
Home-work for the weekend:
- Make a plan for at least one fun, new idea for this weekend. Get off the couch and away from the computer!