Today is Blog Action Day. Bloggers all over the country are gathering forces today to blog on the topic of the Environment and to make charitable contributions to environmental charities. It is humbling to be a part of this effort, which will include over 15,000 blogs being read by over twelve million readers. My voice, though small, is inspired by my sincere hope that we are creating a better world for our children. As a mother, so many of my goals in life revolve around giving my children the best in this life, and that includes helping them learn about protecting our precious world.
Being concerned with the environment and working from home go hand in hand. We who "telecommute" minimize impact on the roads, consume less fuel, use less paper, and generally contribute towards a positive impact on our environment. But there are ways in which we can all get better about being more "green". These are just a few simple suggestions for running a more environmentally friendly home office:
- Purchase "energy star" appliances and computers
- Participate in electronic recycling programs
- Print less and PDF more – when printing or using paper, make an effort to use recycled materials
- Shred documents and files no longer needed and recycle the shreddings
- Situate your home office to benefit from natural lighting
- Install energy efficient bulbs and fixtures
- Manage your home office thermostat to maximize energy efficiency
- When leaving the home office to run errands or take meetings, group your activities to minimize time spent on the road
These are only a few of the tips available to help office workers, both at home and in traditional work settings, be kinder to our environment. I'd love to hear your suggestions – feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or to post a comment below.